Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Is that a huge moustache in your photo or are you really a terrorist?

It finally happened: the staff at our hotel in Luxor didn't believe that I was the imposing looking man in my passport photo. (At the time of my passport photo, I had a huge moustache that curled at the ends like Dali, and long hair that fell in front of my ears - the photo is somewhat intimidating.) So they asked for more ID and asked me to replicate my signature... fascists! Most customs officials look at it, look at me, and just smile. But then on the way out of Cairo, at the last flag, this policeman said something to me in Arabic whilst pointing at the photo. I gave him my best stupid tourist expression but he insisted on making his point. Again he pointed at the photo, gestured the moustache shape whilst saying something in Arabic, and finally gave me the big thumbs up. Phew! Wish I still had for this trip, I think they would have worshipped me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home